A meeting of the Community Council took place on Thursday 18th March 2021 at 7.30pm via electronic media.
Ms Jackie Williams JW Mr Ray Powell RP
Mr Jason Palmer JP Mr Gary Watkins
Mr Charles de Winton CdeW Ms Kate Coton Wright KCW
Mr Ian Matthews (Chairman) Mr Andrew Phillips (AP)
Mr Thomas Phillips (TP)
In attendance: One member of the public - the Internal auditor (PK).
Ms Sue Dale (Clerk) SD
1. Welcome All.
2. Apologies: None
3. Declarations of Interest. CdeW and JW both declared an interest in item 13, approval of a grant to the Llanfrynach and Cantref Community Hall. Both are member of the hall committee.
4. Public Participation None
5. Minutes of the last meeting These were approved and Wil be signed by the Chairman when circumstances allow.
6. Matters Arising None.
7. Llanfrynach and Cantref Community Hall & Ty Bach The hall will host the Police and Crime Commissioner's election and the Welsh Senedd election this year, should they take place, but will open for one day only. The Hall Committee do not intend to re-open the hall before July. The refurbishment project continues.
8. Groesffordd Village Hall Management No problems, the extension project has been stalled due to the pandemic.
9. Planning – 21/19593/FUL, 5 Cefn Cantref, small extension to amenity block. No objections. Clerk to circulate planning history.SD
21/193457/FUL, Cynrig Hatchery, extension to barn. No objections. SD
20/19277/CON, Caerau Farm. Application withdrawn.
10. Powys County Council (PCC) Matters. Item 20 was discussed, the state of the roads in Cantref. A resident has ripped a tyre recently the pot holes are so big. IM, AP and TP will describe the locations of concern and send to SD to enable communication with Highways. IM, SD.
11. Applying for funding for the playground initiative – A third quote has been acquired and Councillors will meet to discuss the quotes in detail reporting back to the Community Council at the next meeting. The intention is to communicate with the households of the community when a way forward has been agreed. IM, RP and CdeW.
12. Appeal for funding from Groesffordd Village Hall Trust. £2000 approved for the extension project.
13. Appeal for funding from Llanfrynach and Cantref Community Hall Trust. £2000 approved for refurbishment project.
14. Cheques, budget v actuals and bank reconciliation for approval.
- 1/4/2021 Clerks wage & stationery allowance £432.60so
- 06/03/2021 Audit Wales (external audit) £304.25
- 06/03/2021 Brecon Advice Centre £65.00
- 06/03/2021 Wales Air Ambulance £165.00
- 06/03/2021 Brecon Dial-a-ride £165.00
- 06/03/2021 Brecon Mountain Rescue Team £165.00
- 06/03/2021 Llanfrynach and Cantref Community Hall £2000.00(see item 13)
- 06/03/2021 Groesffordd Village Hall £2000.00(see item 12)
- 06/03/2021 One Voice Wales (training) £45.00
15. Special cheque approval. A cheque for grass cutting had to be signed by the only two signatories, one of whom is a beneficiary, this is contrary to financial regulations. Approved.
16. Approval for training of councillors. CdeW approved and reported satisfaction with the webinar. JW had been unable to connect with her training. There was discussion about wi-fi provision in the hall and facilities to enable remote attendance at meetings. GW reported very good signal next to the hall from BT, KCW to look in to.KCW.
17. Request for information on the 3 defibrillators from the Wales Ambulance Service. Groesfford Entertainments acquired the defibrillators now all 3 are up-to-date and registered with Wales Ambulance Service. There are no cost implications.
18. Litter and Fly-tipping prevention plan for Wales. Although there are no fly-tipping issues at the moment there have been and it was suggested that the document be put on the website.
19. Appeal for new signatories on the bank mandate.
IM, GW and KCW volunteered.SD.
20. A Cantref resident has requested that council consider the state of his road. See Powys County Council matters item 10.
21. Groesffordd garage owners have been billed by Powys County Council, to be discussed and action agreed. The garage owners have been advised not to pay the bills in the past because of the legal implications of doing so. JP to see if he can obtain a copy of the letter. JP.
22. Correspondence- Brecon Beacons National Park Management Plan Review has been circulated.
South East Wales vascular network proposal. Put on the website. SD
Communication from the County Councillor. The no parking signs in Groesffordd are awaiting a decision from Powys County Council (PCC) KCW to email PCC about parking permits, blocked drains (item 10) and road clearance from last meeting. Some community councillors have “too many hats”. Whilst some councillors take a very active role (wearing lots of hats) in the community they are very careful about possible conflicting aspects, this is managed by the declaration system in the community council. In general the Churchyard and Cantref wood are not of interest to the community council except as residents and unless the Churchwarden appeals for help from the Community Council. As was the case recently.
23. Any Other Business (to be used to pass on information only).
Clerk asked to consider how to ensure the County Councillor gets his invitation to
meetings, recorded delivery was one option. SD.
A survey about the pub for residents is being developed and will be circulated to
councillors before implementation. GW KCW.
Grass-cutting for some areas of the village was raised but the meeting was informed
that PCC have that task.
Moles have made a mess of the playground to be discussed next time.
Photographs would be good to have on the website. Please send any to SD for
updating the website.
24. Date of next meeting is Thursday 29th April 2021 by electronic media or otherwise.
There being no further business the Chairman closed the meeting at 9.00pm